MLK

To celebrate/teach about Martin Luther King, Jr. we read a few Weekly Readers and this book:

ps I don't love this book, so if any of you have a great one you use, I'd love to hear about it!

We made Martin Luther King, Jr. portraits. Here's the link, provided by Mrs. Perry. I was planning on doing the free one, but left my copies at home. And thanks to my school district blocking nearly every website, I had to do the paid one. I was amazed how different they all turned out, considering each child had the exact some cut out pattern.



Next year I'll do the brown egg, white egg activity. I wish we had more time for activities like this, but I'm sure I got the point across and at least exposed them to the reason we celebrate this day. (Although one boy in my class was adamant that MLK day was NOT a real holiday. We got the day off, so that counts as a holiday to me!)

5 comments

Mrs. Wheeler said...

Martin's Big Words is a great read-aloud!!

Sneaker Teacher said...

I saw that brown egg, white egg activity somewhere and really liked it...the portraits look great!

KT

Lori Faas said...

I really wanted to do the brown egg/white/egg activity this year too but did not get to it. I have a VERY diverse classroom so I think that I may still try to squeeze it in!
I LOVE the book "Martin's Big Words". It is very good for first graders.

Ms.M said...

I use A Picture Book of Martin Luther King Jr. It's not the best but I like it the most out of all the books I've read. The kids like it.

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

We read Martin's Big Words and use the video from United Streaming. We also use the lesson from Read, Write, Think called Martin Luther King Jr and me.

Mrs. Adcock
thejoyoffirstgrade.blogspot.com